Top Bachata ArtistsRead Now
Top Bachata Artists: A Selection of Top Singers from Traditional & Urban Bachata
During the last years, Bachata music has gained enourmous popularity all over the place. In fact, some of today's top Bachata artists are also some of the most influential Latin musicstars in the world. From Bachata pioneers such as Anthony Santos and Raulin Rodriguez to Urban Bachata stars like Romeo Santos and Prince Royce, the following singers are responsible for transforming this Dominican rhythm into one of the most popular Latin music genres.
Anthony 'El Mayimbe' Santos
Anthony Santos is one of the first artists who was able to expose Bachata to a mainstream audience. Considered by many one of the most influential Bachata artists of all time, he changed this genre by adding romantic lyrics into his music. Some of his most famous hits include songs like "Corazon Culpable," "Voy Pa'lla" and the popular Bachata version of Los Tigres del Norte's single "Golpes En El Corazon".
During the last decade, Joe Veras has been defining the sounds of modern Bachata. In 2004, he was honored by the Billboard Latin Music Awards with the Tropical Airplay Track Of The YearAward. Some of his most popular hits include songs like "Intentalo Tu" and "La Pared". He recently released a nice Bachata version of Lionel Richie's classic hit "Hello".
This popular boy band opened the field for a new sound that ended up defining the roots of Urban Bachata. Aventura was, in fact, the first band to include Hip-Hop and R&B influences into their music. The band became a worldwide phenomenon thanks to the hit track "Obsesion".
This duo from The Bronx is another popular name of today's Urban Bachata movement. The group was formed by singers Danny Mejia and Steven Tejada. Top songs by Xtreme include hits like "Te Extrano" and "Shorty Shorty".
Hector 'El Torito' Acosta
Hector 'El Torito' Acosta is one of the most popular Bachata artists. Besides Bachata he is also a talented singer in the fields of Merengue and Bolero. Some of his best Bachata songs include titles like "Me Voy" and "Sin Perdon".
This Dominican artist is an important player of the group of pioneers who exposed Bachata to new audiences. A talented guitarist, Luis Vargas was one of the first Bachata artists to incorporate electric guitar into this genre. Some of his best songs include "Con Los Crespos Hechos" and "Loco De Amor".
Alongside Romeo Santos, this singer from The Bronx is one of today's most popular Bachata stars. Thanks to his debut album and the recently released production Phase II, Prince Royce has captured audiences all over the world. Top hits include "Stand By Me," "Corazon Sin Cara" and "Las Cosas Pequenas".
Yoskar Sarante has been a leading figure of modern Bachata. His music has been shaped around his romantic songs and style. Titles such as "La Noche" and "No Tengo Suerte En El Amor" are some of the most popular Bachata songs recorded by this popular Dominican artist.
Carlos Y Alejandra
Originally from The Bronx, this duo was formed by Carlos Vargas Franco Jr. and Bianca Alejandra Feliz. Just like all the other stars coming from The Bronx, their music belongs to the Urban Bachata style. Top hits include singles such as "Cuanto Duele" and "Melodia De Amor".
Juan Luis Guerra
Although Juan Luis Guerra, one of the living legends of Latin music, is mostly known for his Merengue repertoire, this Dominican artist has also produced outstanding Bachata songs. Some of his most popular Bachata hits include tracks like "Bachata Rosa" and "Bachata En Fukuoka".
Bachata Heightz is one of the pioneering groups of the Urban Bachata style. The name of this popular band comes from the neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City where this group was formed. Their music and style is heavily defined by Hip-Hop and R&B influences. Top bachata songs from this band include "Me Puedo Matar" and "No Sabes Del Amor".
Just like Anthony 'El Mayimbe' Santos, this Dominican artist is one of the figures responsible for exposing Bachata music to new audiences. A big chunk of his popularity was the result of his ability to incorporate romantic lyrics into his music. He is widely considered one of the most essential Bachata artists in history.
One of the most popular stars of traditional Bachata, Frank Reyes is usually referred to as The Prince of Bachata. A prolific songwriter, Frank Reyes's repertoire includes hits such as "Amor Desperdiciado," "Princesa" and "Tu Eres Ajena".
Before moving into a successful solo career, this singer from The Bronx was a backup singer for the popular Bachata band Aventura. Toby Love has been acknowledged as the artist responsible for combining Crunk music with Bachata. Some of his most famous tracks include "Tengo Un Amor" and "Te Parece Poco".
Elvis Martinez has been producing Bachata music since the late 1990s. Some of the most popular songs recorded by this Domnican singer include titles like "Asi Te Amo" and "Tu Traicion".
Since 1997, this Dominican singer has built a reputation as one of the best Bachata artists out there. He has produced an extensive repertoire of popular Bachata songs including titles like "Me Sobran Las Palabras" and "Quedate Conmigo". If you are just getting into Bachata music, Zacarias Ferreira is definitely an artist you need to listen to.
A leading figure of the Urban Bachata field, Romeo Santos is at the top of any list dealing with Bachata artists. He became a star as a lead singer for the sensation boy band Aventura. After that, he has continued to nurture a succesful solo career with his unique style. Some of his most popular hits include singles like "Obsesion," "Promise" and "You".
Bachata songs may be the 'music of bitterness,' but they're also the music of romance -- well, usually unsuccessful romance. It is a fitting backdrop to those moments when you are feeling hopeless and blue but the music is often so pretty that it somehow is never depressing.
Here's a playlist of some of my favorite bachata songs. Feel free to sing along!
1. Hector Acosta - "Me Voy": Hector Acosta left the popular Los Toros Band in 2006 to form his own orchestra, a move that gained him an even larger following. The first album of this venture, 2006's Sigo Siendo Yo, generated the fan favorites "Me Voy" and "Primavera Azul." "Me Voy" featuring Anthony "Romeo' Santos from Aventura, also appeared on 2008's Mitad Mitad.
2. Einllo - "Te Buscaria": Einllo is a Dominican/Puerto Rican singer, currently from New York via New Jersey. He's primarily a salsa singer although this bachata appeared on his debut album, Eternamente.
3. Aventura - "Mi Corazoncito": Currently the biggest name in urban bachata, Aventura has had over 20 hits emerge from their six studio albums. "Mi Corazoncito" was the big winner during the 2008 awards season takng home 'best song' at Premio Lo Nuestro, Billboard Latin Music and ASCAP Latin Music awards.
4. Yoskar Sarante - "No Tengo Suerte En El Amor": A well-known name among bachateros, Yoskar Sarante is involved with nueva bachata, sometimes called 'bachateo' which is a mix of reggaeton and bachata. Whether a track is Dominican reggaeton, bachata or bachateo, the themes are almost always romantic.
5. Angel Y Khriz - "Carita De Angel" (Version Bachata): Although Angel & Khriz are billed as a reggaeton duo from the Luny Tunes stable of artists, their reggaeton is from the Dominican Republic which means there's lots of musical mixture with other music from their home island and they often perform the same tune in different styles. This is the bachata version of "Carita de Angel."
6. Monchy & Alexandra - "No Es Una Novela": Dominican Monchy & Alexandra have almost single-handedly (or double-handedly) brought bachata to the top of the charts -- well, at least they were the first because Aventura has taken over the #1 spot. There were a lot of disappointed fans when the duo broke up in 2008. "No Es Una Novela" is arguably their biggest hit but it just never seems to get old, no matter how often its played on the airwaves.
7. Alex Bueno - "Agarrense de las Manos": Dominican singer/guitarist Alex Bueno has been recording Dominican music since 1979. He's fought personal demons and drug problems during some of those years but his voice and music remain pure and popular.
8. Daniel Moncion - "Decidi": The songs of Daniel Moncion have been performed by some of the most popular bachateros icluding Frank Reyes, Monchy & Alexandra and Alex Bueno. "Culpable" was the big hit from Moncion's sophmore album Decidi but I like this one better.
9. Erick Escobar - "Secreto de Amor": "Secreto de Amor" is a ballad that was originally written by Joan Sebastian. It lends itself well to the bachata format and is sung here by Erick Escobar.
10. Domenic Marte - "Yo Me Equivoca": Another Dominican/Puerto Rican musician from the East Coast (Lawrence, MA), Dominic Marte composes much of his own music. His 2004 debut album Intimamente earned him an "Artist of the Year' nomination at both the 2005 Premio Lo Nuestro and Billboard Latin Music awards.
... I would like to share you about certain things that might interest you.