Grupo Niche is widely considered the best Salsa band coming from Colombia. Their extensive repertoire, written almost exclusively by the talented musician Jairo Varela, includes a selection of outstanding Salsa dura tracks as well as romantic songs that have captured Salsa fans all over the world for over 30 years. From "Sin Sentimiento" to "Cali Pachaguero," the following are the best songs ever produced by Grupo Niche.
10. "Sin Sentimiento" - "Sin Sentimiento" is one of the hits included in the album Cielo De Tambores, one of the best productions ever released by Grupo Niche. A fantastic track from beginning to end featuring the voice of the legendary Javier Vazquez, one of the best singers in the history of the band.
9. "Hagamos Lo Que Diga El Corazon" - This is one of the most popular tracks Grupo Niche has produced in the field of romantic Salsa. Although it is a romantic track, the melody does not stay in the soft side all the time. The second part, in fact, provides good musical arrangements to hit the dance floor.
8. "Nuestro Sueño" - "Nuestro Sueño" marked the debut of the legendary Puerto Rican singer Tito Gomez with Grupo Niche. After having produced different hits with La Sonora Poncena and Ray Barreto, Tito Gomez joined the Colombian band in 1985. This track belongs to the album Tapando El Hueco, one of the best works by Grupo Niche. Although "Nuestro Sueño" is another romantic hit, the ending part of this song is an explosion defined by fast beats.
7. "Cali Aji" - Throughout all these years, Grupo Niche has been based in the city of Cali, Colombia. Because of this, Grupo Niche has used this city as an eternal source of inspiration for their music. "Cali Aji" is just one of the many songs dealing with Cali. This track, in particular, offers a direct reference to the festivities the city celebrates every year. Because of its energy, this is an ideal track to play in a good Latin party.
6. "La Negra No Quiere" - Originally included in the breakthrough album No Hay Quinto Malo, this single has been a favorite among fans of the Colombian band. "La Negra No Quiere" offers a catchy percussion and the unique sound of the keyboards that defined the music of the band during the 1980s.
5. "La Magia De Tus Besos" - From the 1996 album Etnia, "La Magia De Tus Besos" has been one of the most popular romantic Salsa songs ever produced by Grupo Niche. Much of the appeal of this song was the result of the sweet voice of Willy Garcia, another popular singer from the band.
4. "Del Puente Pa' Alla" - "Del Puente Pa' Alla" is another song dealing with Cali and its surroundings. In fact, the whole song is based on a very simple fact: The bridge that separates Cali from the Juanchito district, a popular place for Salsa dancing. This is one of the most popular songs from Grupo Niche's hard Salsa school.
3. "Buenaventura Y Caney" - I personally think "Buenaventura Y Caney" is the best Salsa Dura song Grupo Niche has ever produced. A fantastic song from beginning to end nurtured by the legendary voice of Alvaro del Castillo, amazing percussions and exhilirating brass sections. "Buenaventura Y Caney" was, in fact, the first solid hit produced by Grupo Niche.
2. "Una Aventura" - I have previously mentioned some romantic songs in this list. However, we have finally arrived to the most popular romantic track ever produced by Grupo Niche. This song offers amazing music and some of the most beautiful lyrics ever written by the band's gifted director and songwriter Jairo Varela. In terms of romantic Salsa, this is as good as it gets from Grupo Niche. The original version was sung by Charlie Cardona, the band's most romantic voice ever.
1. "Cali Pachanguero" - "Cali Pachanguero" is still to date, the most popular song produced by the Colombian band. This was the track that transformed Grupo Niche into an international Salsa sensation. Again, this track deals with the culture and traditions surrounding Grupo Niche's hometown. Since its realease, "Cali Pachanguero" has become Cali's unofficial anthem. A perfect track from beginning to end.
Back in the 1980's, Salsa music experienced a significant transformation. All of the sudden, the sounds that had shaped Salsa in the 1970s (mainly the New York Salsa) were abandoned in favor of a new style defined by its romanticism, sensuality and explicit lyrics built around sex and love issues. These changes marked the beginning of the romantic Salsa era.
Salsa romantica, as it was known throughout the Spanish speaking world, came to define this new Salsa style. Because of its explicitlyrics, it was also referred to as Salsa erotica (erotic Salsa). The following list of romantic Salsa songs is a compilation of some of the most enduring hits that marked the evolution of the romantic Salsa movement.
10. Grupo Niche - "La Magia De Tus Besos"
Although Grupo Niche does not really fit into the romantic Salsa style, this popular Colombian group has produced various romantic Salsa songs that include titles like "Nuestro Sueño" and "Una Aventura." The single "La Magia De Tus Besos" is another romantic track that enjoyed enormous popularity among Salsa fans.
9. Rey Ruiz - "Mi Media Mitad"
In this song Rey Ruiz talks about soul mates, one of the most romantic concepts ever created by people throughout the ages. This melancholic song shows why Rey Ruiz has been one of the leading artists of the romantic Salsa movement.
8. David Pabon - "Y Nos Amamos"
With his music, Puerto Rican singer David Pabon became one of the most representative artists of the new romantic style that captured Salsa during the late 1980s. Hi songs were all about love and intimacy and the single "Y Nos Amamos" became a perfect tune for lovers.
7. Pedro Conga - "Si Supieras"
Unlike other romantic Salsa artists, Pedro Conga was able to maintain some balance between the sounds that defined Salsa during the 1970s and the new romantic style that started in the 1980s. Pedro Conga and his group produced popular romantic Salsa songs including "Si Supieras," one of the biggest hits Pedro Conga has brought toSalsa romantica.
6. Jerry Rivera - "Amores Como El Nuestro"
Jerry Rivera's voice, style and looks fit perfectly the romantic Salsa singer ideal. "Amores Como El Nuestro," a song for people who are deeply in love, is one of the most popular romantic Salsa songs this Puerto Rican artist has produced in his music career.
5. Frankie Ruiz - "Desnudate Mujer"
Frankie Ruiz was a complete Salsa singer who was able to move easily between Salsa Dura (hard Salsa) and the romantic, sensual side of this genre. His romantic tunes were quite explicit and charged with lots of sexual and erotic references. "Desnudate Mujer" was one of the most popular songs of the Salsa romantica era.
4. Lalo Rodriguez - "Ven Devorame Otra Vez"
This song was a huge hit back in 1988. The single, which is defined by its sexual lyrics, was the lead song of Lalo's album Un Nuevo Despertar. "Ven Devorame Otra Vez" is one of the most emblematic romantic Salsa songs ever produced.
3. Willie Gonzalez - "No Podras Escapar De Mi"
Willie Gonzalez is one of the most influential artists of the Salsa romantica movement. His music repertoire captures the sensual style that has defined Salsa from the late 1980s. "No Podras Escaper De Mi" is one of his most famous romantic Salsa songs.
2. Marc Anthony and La India - "Vivir Lo Nuestro"
"Vivir Lo Nuestro" is definitely one of the most romantic Salsa songs ever produced. An ideal song for Salsa lovers, this track is enhanced by the amazing voices of Marc Anthony and La India.
1. Eddie Santiago - "Lluvia"
Eddie Santiago is the absolute pioneer of romantic Salsa. During the 1980s he changed the face of this genre with his unique voice and singing style. "Lluvia" is one of the leading songs of the whole romantic Salsa era.
This year, the legendary Salsa band Grupo Niche is celebrating its 30th anniversary with an exhausting tour that is taking the band all over the world. In the next days, the popular group from Colombia, whose extensive repertoire includes timeless hits such as "Cali Pachanguero" and "Una Aventura," will be visiting different cities across the US including venues in New York and California. The following are the upcoming shows included in the schedule of this famous Salsa band.
Grupo Niche Tour Dates:
After the tremendous popularity they enjoyed with Entren Los Que Quieran, an album that swept the Latin Grammy Awards last year, the members of the Latin Urban sensation band Calle 13 are already working on their next album. This time, the big news about the upcoming production is that Calle 13 is recording in English.
Because of this project, the members of Calle 13, Rene Perez (Residente) and Eduardo Cabra (Visitante) have already reduced their public schedule in 2012. In any case, the group is planning to give a concert in Puerto Rico where they will probably use the stage to speak up about their country's social and political environment.
The news about Calle 13 recording in English is something quite interesting. This is, in fact, a big challenge for a popular band like Calle 13. Having said this, what do you think about Calle 13 recording in English? If you have something to say about it, I invite you to share your thoughts here.
‘Illustrated Songs’ – Gaby Moreno...
Latin Alternative music enjoyed a good year in 2011. One of the best albums in this genre was Illustrated Songs by Guatemalan artist Gaby Moreno. This CD got outstanding reviews throughout the year thanks to its pleasant melodies and Gaby Moreno's powerful voice. Illustrated Songs is one of the best Latin music albums of 2011.
‘Musica + Alma + Sexo’ – Ricky Martin...
Ricky Martin's Musica + Alma + Sexo was one of the most anticipated albums of 2011. This CD marked a solid comeback for one of the biggest Latin Pop stars in the world. The most popular single from this album was "The Best Thing About Me Is You".
‘Cigala & Tango’ – Diego ‘El Cigala’...
Spanish singer Diego 'El Cigala' proved once again his talent to mix Flamenco music with other Latin music genres. Cigala & Tango received the Best Tango Album Award at the 2011 Latin Grammy Awards. Some of the best tracks include titles such as "Las Cuarenta," "El Dia Que Me Quieras" and "En Esta Tarde Gris". This is one of the best Latin albums of the year.
‘Sale El Sol’ – Shakira...
Although this album was released in 2010, Shakira made the most out of it this year. The Colombian singer not only grabbed several music awards thanks to this album but also was able to maintain her music on radio stations throughout 2011. Songs like "Rabiosa," "Loca" and "Gypsy" enjoyed lots of popularity.
‘Planet Pit’ – Pitbull...
Pitbull had a wonderful 2011. Pretty much everything he touched this year became gold. He enjoyed popularity as a featured artist alongside stars like Shakira ("Rabiosa") and Enrique Iglesias ("I Like It"). However, his album Planet Pit consolidated this Miami rapper as one of the absolute stars of 2011 thanks to tracks such as "Give Me Everything," featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer, and "Rain Over Me," featuring Marc Anthony.
‘Prince Royce’ – Prince Royce...
Prince Royce was the most popular Bachata artist throughout the year. This popularity was the result of his album Prince Royce, which included hit songs such as "Stand By Me" and "Corazon Sin Cara". Prince Royce was definitely one of the top Latin albums in 2011.
‘Euphoria’ – Enrique Iglesias...
Thanks to Euphoria, Enrique Iglesias received more than 20 music award nominations in 2011. Even though this CD was released last year, the Spanish artist enjoyed tremendous popularity in 2011 with tracks such as "I Like It," featuring Cuban-American rapper Pitbull.
‘MTV Unplugged: Los Tigres del Norte and Friends’ – Los Tigres del Norte...
The first ever MTV Unplugged album of Regional Mexican music was a hit. With 'MTV Unplugged: Los Tigres del Norte and Friends', the kings of Norteno music exposed this music genre to a broader audience. Tracks like "Golpes En El Corazon," featuring Paulina Rubio, and "La Jaula De Oro," featuring Juanes placed this album on top of Mexican music charts. Los Tigres del Norte delivered one of the best Latin music albums of 2011.
'Formula Vol. 1' - Romeo Santos...
Even if Bachata was dominated by Prince Royce for most of 2011, Romeo Santos delivered one of the most popular albums of this genre towards the end of the year. Since its release, Formula Vol. 1 became a sensation not only among Bachata fans but also Latin music enthusiasts. The former Aventura member delivered a strong album that has transformed Bachata into an authentic mainstream phenomenon.
‘Los Vaqueros: El Regreso’ – Wisin Y Yandel...
This was a good year for Reggaeton duo Wisin Y Yandel. These Puerto Rican artists enjoyed lots of popularity in 2011 thanks to the tracks included in the album Los Vaqueros: El Regreso. Songs like "Tu Olor," "Estoy Enamorado" and "Zun Zun Rompiendo Caderas" were among the most popular singles in the Reggaeton and Urban field.
‘Entren Los Que Quieran’ – Calle 13...
Entren Los Que Quieran is by far one of the best Latin albums of the year. With this work, Calle 13 swept the 2011 Latin Grammy Awards. This album brings together a powerful combination of different music styles with a strong social voice. In 2011, songs like "Latinoamerica" and "Baile De Los Pobres" enjoyed lots of popularity.
‘Don Omar Presents: Meet The Orphans’ – Don Omar...
Don Omar is another artist who had a fantastic 2011. His album Don Omar Presents: Meet The Orphans, which was released at the end of 2010, became a worldwide sensation this year thanks to tracks like "Taboo" and "Danza Kuduro". The latter became a sensation in YouTube where the video of this song captured the title as the most watched video for an artist in Spanish language.
‘Drama Y Luz’ – Mana...
After five years away from the studio, the Mexican Rock band Mana did not disappoint anyone with their anticipated comeback album. Drama Y Luz consolidated Mana as one of the most important names in Latin music. The Drama Y Luz tour was the most popular live event in 2011 and people went crazy about the band's return. Mana definitely ruled this year.
... I would like to share you about certain things that might interest you.